How to use this Guide
This guide is best used as a quick introduction for doing a preemption check.
For an excellent comprehensive guide, see Preemption Checking for Law Reviews & Journals from the USF Law School.
Some of the links in the USF guide will not work for Hofstra students. Some of those links will be available on this guide. Please contact one of the guide authors to add other links.
See boxes below for details on how to perform steps of Checklist.
a. if looking at an interdisciplinary topic, search Axinn One Search for other relevant databases
Search Index to Legal Periodicals
- How to effectively utilize index features
1. Run you keyword search in the box below.
2. Identify relevant articles and look for subject descriptors
3. Modify search using additional search terms and/or
4. Modify search and use subject descriptors in addition to your keywords
- Index to Legal Periodicals
Search full-text law reviews
Search full-text databases for very specific issues. Try the different databases listed below.
Search Forthcoming articles
Search SSRN and these sources to find forthcoming articles and working papers (papers in the publication process)
Find out what law professors are discussing. Remember Ctrl F or Cmd F to find a particular term on a page.
BNA publications - for current developments in the law
Assistant Director for Reference and Instruction